The vision is to provide sacramental preparation in an environment that encourages family involvement.
Who can attend?
- Any Catholic family, English or Spanish speaking with children who need First Communion, Confirmation, or both.
- Any individual (baptized Catholic) under the age of 18 who needs First Communion, Confirmation, or both.
- Any adult (baptized Catholic) who needs First Communion, Confirmation, or both.
- Any family or individual who does not fit the above criteria but wishes to participate in religious education.
- Note: If a child is under the age of 18 at least one parent needs to attend this program also.
What is being taught?
Appropriate classes would be taught to meet the First Communion and Confirmation preparation for appropriate age groups. Additionally, parents would be taught how to create a home where their children are learning the faith from them and their example. Spanish speaking classes would also be provided.
When are we meeting?
Tuesday evenings for two hours.
We will primarily be using Loyola Press resources, supplemented by various videos from Formed.org and other sources.
Since this is a two-year program, the first year will be covered with Religious Education Readiness:
God Made Everything Ages 3-4
Knowing Our Faith Ages 5-10
Bridges to Faith Ages 8-11
Called to be Catholic Ages 12-15
For First Reconciliation and First Communion:
God’s Gift Primary Reconciliation Ages 7-11
God’s Gift Primary First Communion Ages 7-11
God’s Gift Primary Reconciliation Ages 12-15
God’s Gift Primary First Communion Ages 12-15
Confirmed in the Spirit
Meetings on Tuesday evening will look like this:
Start with evening Mass (optional)
6:30pm Begin gathering in a large space for snacks and social time. ULMH
7:15pm Short bi-lingual presentation on topic for the evening ULMH
7:30pm Move to rooms for more in depth catechesis on topic. School
8:30pm Brief return to large gathering space for large group discussion and processing (led by a staff person or priest) ULMH
8:45pm Go to church for a closing evening prayer.
9:00pm Leave for home.
This program starts on Tuesday, September 8, 2020 in Upper Level Madonna Hall at 7:00pm. You are welcome to attend the evening Mass at 5:45pm and stay for a brief gathering for food at 6:30pm.
I am looking for Catechists to teach, Aides to help, and volunteers to help organize the food for the weekly gathering at 6:30pm. Please contact Becky Cope at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-888-2861 ext. 231.