The Mission of the Hearts for Haiti Ministry is to respond to Pope Benedict XVI's call to provide relief to a growing population of starving and uneducated children and families in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti.
What is this Ministry About?
The U.S. Catholic Bishops calls us to "serve the poor and vulnerable and to build bridges of solidarity among peoples of differing races and nations, language, and ability, gender and culture." Answering this call, OLG through its Hearts for Haiti Ministry, has been working with St. George's Parish in Bassin-Bleu (Nord-Quest), Haiti and five surrounding mountain parishes.
The Hearts for Haiti ministry seeks to understand the culture and conditions of our Haitian's brothers and sisters in the congregation and schools of St. George's Catholic Parish located in Bassin Bleu.
We help to build relationships between school children and adults in our parishes based upon mutual respect and shared learning.
We provide monetary and "friendship" support to St. George's Parish and surrounding mountain parishes and also act as role models with our children, the Catholic Social Teaching of having a Preference for the Poor.
Through fundraising, the Our Lady of Greenwood School's efforts, help from the Ministry of Mothers, and gifts to Hearts of Haiti, much has been accomplished over the past five years as listed below:
- Added to the St. George's College bathrooms, three additional classrooms, and a computer lab along with 30 laptop computers for grades 9-12.
- Provide $2,500 per month to St. George's for teachers' salaries.
- Shipped nutrition packets to St. George's and the surrounding mountain parishes to feed 1,200 students each year.
- Provided to St. George's Parish a water filtration system and building to house the nutrition packets and other necessities, reducing the risk to Bassin-Bleu villagers of cholera and other diseases.
How You Can Help
The above items are just the start of what we have accomplished thus far in providing a better living for the people and children in this area of Haiti.
We need your help to continue these efforts and address additional challenges. Please consider helping the Hearts of Haiti Ministry in any way you are able.
How Can You Help?
- Pray for the people of Haiti and the success of the Hearts for Haiti Ministry.
- Join the Hearts for Haiti Ministry. We meet the third Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
- Provide monetary support. For example: Donate $5.00 per month or any amount of your choosing to the Hearts for Haiti Ministry using the general white envelopes in the pews. (Write "Hearts for Haiti" on the envelope.)
- Sponsor a child's education at St. George's for $300 a year.
- Join us at our fundraising events such as; Haiti Children's Clothing, Book and Toy Sale (Spring timeframe), Freedom Cookout, and Beer/Wine Garden (June), and Hearts for Haiti Golf Outing (August).Note: Please refer to the "Events" tab at the top of this page for more information on supporting our ongoing events.
The funds parishioners of all ages are able to provide to the beautiful people of Haiti make a real difference in their lives. Education, nutrition, and clean water are direct, tangible results of that support. Equally important is the hope they have in their hearts because they know that a parish 1,500 miles away loves them, cares about them, and is actively helping them.
What are the Ministry's Plans to Help Meet Continuing Needs?
- Extend the commitment of $2,500 per month with possibilities of increasing this due to current economic climate since the 2010 earthquake.
- Increase construction monies to begin renovations at the chapels and schools of the surrounding mountain parishes.
- Increase nutrition through reliable food distribution.
- Expand the student sponsorship program to cover additional students.
- Support a filtered water system for the mountain schools and chapels.
- Increase recreation by supplying equipment for the schools.
- Continue mission trips to provide physical and spiritual support and to identify future needs.
Calendar of Events
- Monthly Ministry Meeting — Third Monday of each month in Our Lady of the Greenwood School teacher's conference room.
- March — OLG Parishioners' Mission Trip to Haiti
- April — Hearts for Haiti Children's Clothing and Equipment Sale
- April 23 — St. George Feast Day
- June/July — Hearts for Haiti Freedom Fest Celebration
- August — Hearts for Haiti Golf OutingNOTE: More detailed information of events will be posted at a later time.
When does this Ministry Meet?
This ministry meets the third Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the OLG school teachers’ lounge. If you are interested in joining us at our meetings please refer to the contact information below.
Ways to Contact Us