Greetings Our Lady of Greenwood! A few thoughts and upcoming events…
1) Masks, etc. I would still like to encourage you to wear a mask when coming to church. While they are not required in Johnson County at this time I think prudence would demand that we take precautions. It also helps make others feel safer coming to church which is what charity would demand of us as well. I recognize that it is inconvenient and uncomfortable for many but it is just an extra precaution that can help people feel safer. There is a greater risk of spread of the virus in a closed building so we need to be as careful as possible.
2) Family Based Religious Education and RCIA This year we are going to add a new way to receive sacramental preparation for First Communion and/or Confirmation. On Tuesday evenings we are going try a program that Becky Cope is organizing with Lupita Gonzalez. It will offer prayer and catechesis for the whole family as well as sacramental preparation for anyone who needs it from age 7 – adult. If you have questions contact Becky, Lupita, or me at the office. My extension is 222.
3) The Perpetual Adoration Chapel The Knights of Columbus have taken on the responsibility of scheduling Adorers for our Perpetual Adoration Chapel, but this depends on our ability to have enough people to do it. We need at least two people signed up for every hour of the day, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Prayer must be the foundation for the ministry that we do here, please help us start this cycle of prayer again by signing up after Masses this weekend! Here is the new scheduling website: https://olgadoration.weadorehim.com/en/help. Sign up today!
4) The Roof – If you have been a parishioner here for awhile you know that several of our buildings are going to need a new roof within the next year or two. Our Buildings and Grounds Committee have narrowed down those bidding on the project to four local roofing companies and we are waiting for them to submit their bids. We will do our best to keep you updated on the status of this project.
5) The Our Lady of Greenwood feast day festival on October 2nd and 3rd As most of you know we were unable to host our festival this year because of the coronavirus. Last week we had a meeting about putting together a small festival in the fall on the occasion of our feast day. We had a good turnout of volunteers and some exciting activities were talked including a talent show, chili cookoff, music, food, activities for kids, and an arts and crafts show.
6) Possible Parish Garage Sale August 2nd and 3rd Lupita Gonzalez is looking at the possibility of hosting a garage sale for the parish the first weekend of August. Call the office for details or if you have something you wish to donate!
7) Last two bulletin letters from me: If you get a chance please read, I think there are some exciting ministry possibilities ahead!